In a joint statement made available to KADUNA POLITICAL AFFAIRS on Tuesday, signed by the association’s National President and National Secretary, Mr. Dio Awemi Maisamari and Barr. Luka G. Waziri, the Adara stakeholders stated that an overwhelming majority of the sons and daughters of Adara nation do not accept, will not support, participate in, recognize, respect or submit in any way to the two third class chiefdoms being created to replace the scrapped first class Adara Chiefdom.
The Adara people, the second largest ethnic nationality in Kaduna State, who claim a population of over one million and occupy Kachia and Kajuru Local Government Areas in Southern part of the state, said they have nothing to show for it except their unjustifiably scrapped first class Chiefdom. Therefore, they see the efforts by the present administration of Kaduna State to orchestrate the relegation, marginalization and domination of Adara nation in their only ancestral homeland on earth as the greatest humiliation ever.
The statement reads,“The Adara community stakeholders of Kaduna state have made extensive consultations and obtained detailed clarifications within and without on the historical antecedents, content and future implications of the Kaduna State Traditional Institutions Law, 2021.
(A). After exhaustive deliberations on the matter on 8th February, 2022, the stakeholders are convinced beyond reasonable doubt that:
- The legislative process which produced the law and the law itself are fundamentally inconsistent with the letters and spirit of several sections of the Nigerian constitution in particular, the principles of democracy, federalism and extant policies of the Kaduna State government in general
- The new law is generally incompatible with natural justice, ill-conceived, ill-intentioned, biased and discriminatory particularly against the Adara nation.
- The law will permanently undermine and suppress the identity, culture and other legitimate socioeconomic rights and interests of Adara nation within the Nigerian federation.
- The implementation of the law poses a threat to cultural diversity, equal rights, peaceful coexistence, social harmony and the security of lives and properties in Adara community in particular and Kaduna state as a whole. To contemplate, talk less of implementing such a policy in the current disastrous and still volatile environment is most insensitive and unfair.
(B). In view of the above grievous implications of the law, Adara community stakeholders of Kaduna state passed some resolutions on the position of the community on the matter. These were ratified by the Congress of Adara nation on 19th February, 2022 at Adara town hall, Kachia. The National Executive Committee of the Adara Development Association (ADA) has been mandated to produce and circulate these resolutions as widely as possible for the information and awareness of all sons and daughters of Adara nation, other individuals, groups, communities, authorities, friends, well wishers of Adara nation and lovers of justice and genuine peace in general. The resolutions are as follows:
- An overwhelming majority of the sons and daughters of Adara nation do not accept, will not support, participate in, recognize, respect or submit in any way to the two (2) third class chiefdoms being created to replace the unjustifiably scrapped first class Adara Chiefdom. This is because government ignored all official and unofficial inputs and overtures for proper engagement with legitimate community leaders of Adara nation on this matter thereby denying our people the inalienable right to participate in their own governance.
- Adara community stakeholders will continue to explore all avenues for the peaceful and amicable resolution of its numerous grievances against the Kaduna State Government. Concurrently, Adara community will also take further steps to seek for legal redress and justice at any and all levels so as to secure the legitimate interests, rights, dignity and future if its people as full citizens of a federal republic of Nigeria.
- The few Adara sons and daughters who may accept, support and participate in the new Chiefdoms are doing so as individuals, are on their own and are acting contrary and against the best wishes, advice and long term interests of Adara nation. Any person or persons who do so are hereby declared as traitors and saboteurs of Adara nation.
- The saboteurs and traitors of Adara nation shall not be entitled, nor accorded any obedience, respect, honour, privilege, role, responsibility or cooperation by Adara nation if appointed to any position in any of the two (2) third class Chiefdoms. Similarly, any other persons or groups who accept or support or participate in the new Chiefdoms shall not be granted any obedience, respect, honour, privilege, role, responsibility or cooperation by Adara nation.
- As the second largest ethnic nationality in Kaduna state, we have nothing to show for it except our unjustifiably scrapped first class Chiefdom. Therefore, we see the efforts by the present administration of Kaduna State to orchestrate the relegation, marginalization and domination of Adara nation in their only ancestral homeland on earth as the greatest humiliation ever. Consequently, Adara nation has firmly resolved to resist this injustice by all constitutional, legal and civil means.
- We specifically appreciate the understanding, sympathy, support and solidarity of some individuals and communities who have spoken or shown their concerns on this matter in various ways. Your goodwill to Adara nation in a very trying period like this will forever be remembered and adequately appreciated in future.
In conclusion, we are very certain that our grievances are genuine and our cause is just. We are therefore comforted by the assurance and confidence that historically, a just cause backed by the good and insuppressible conscience of mankind always triumphs at the end.”
KADUNA POLITICAL AFFAIRS recalls that the slain paramount ruler of Adara Land, the Agom Adara, Dr. Maiwada Galadima, was ambushed in October, 2018 on the Kaduna-Kachia expressway, abducted and killed after a ransom was paid for his release. Shortly after his death, the Adara Traditional Council and the
Adara Chiefdom were abolished and, instead, a Kajuru Emirate created, even when Muslims make less than 5% of the population of Kajuru LGA, as the ADA claimed.
In December, 2018, the ADA addressed a press conference and rejected the new developments. The ADA also insisted that Kaduna State government could
not be absolved from complicity in the murder of their royal father, an ellegation that Kaduna State government refutted.
In 2019, the Wazirin Adara, Engr. Bawa Magaji who the Adara officially regard as the acting traditional leader of Adara nation, the President of ADA, Mr Awemi Dio Maisamari and seven other most respectable leaders of Adara land were arrested and detained in Kaduna Prison for 120 days. Police investigation later cleared them against allegations of any wrongdoing.